As more and more industries opt for process automation to increase control over operations and save on energy, the use of electronic equipment has also increased simultaneously,
The use of devices such as variable speed drives, rectifiers, and energy savers cause harmonics and transients in the network – thus defeating their very purpose of energy efficiency.
Modern industries require automation of their operation enabling them to produce
quality products and also for mass production. The conventional systems are being replaced by modern Power Electronic systems, bringing a variety of advantages to the users. Classic examples are DC & AC Drives, UPS, soft starters, etc.
Since the Thyristor converter technology is rapidly gaining ground in the modern industrial plants, the power supply systems are contaminated as the ideal sinusoidal current and voltage waveforms are getting distorted.
This in turn is affecting the performance of the equipment in the electrical network .
“Soon a Day will come when people Say ‘’Save the Sine Wave”
Symptoms of Harmonics Studies
- Blinking of incandescent bulbs
- Capacitor failure.
- Circuit breaker tripping.
- Computer malfunction or lockup.
- Conductor failure.
- Failure of electronic equipment.
- Flickering of fluorescent tubes.
- Blown fuses.
- Motor failures due to overheating.
- Excessive neutral current.
- Overheating of metal enclosures.
- Power interference on voice communication
- Transformer failure /Temperature Rise.
- Buss bar Humming.
- Cable Heating.
Effects of Harmonics:
- Increased losses and temperature rise in Cables & Transformers.
- Resonance between inductance and capacitance of the network resulting in amplification of harmonic currents in the network.
- Accuracy of measuring instruments and protection relays affected . Communication signals distorted. Increase in Eddy Current and
- Hysteresis Losses. Increase in Noise level of Audio equipment. Buss Bar Humming Noise.
- Increase in neutral currents. Neutral conductor and terminal failures. Failure of electromagnetic loads. Cards Failure
Our Approach :
Detect Harmonics in the network.
Identification of type of harmonics, amplitude of distortion and percentage of
I-THD and V-THD.
Provide technical Specifications for Harmonic Filters.
Supply, installation assistance and commissioning of filters.
Performance evaluation of filters and benefits after installation if done by us.
Provide KVAR Calculation at various levels.
Measure neutral to earth voltages.
TEAM EDGE Technologies with their High End 3 Phase Power Quality Analyzers measures harmonics but also give concrete Solutions to the problems found.